Product Vision vs Goals
Over the past week or so, I have been trying to define just what a “product vision” is. Communicating this has been difficult because I don’t have the professional experience to see what it looks like in use by other companies.
Goals of a Vision
- Provide a “gut-level” guide for making decisions.
- A unifying force for efforts across the company.
What I Know so Far
- Vision is removed from implementation.
- The product leader is responsible for that vision, maintaining it, and communicating it.
- It should probably be language only, to keep implementation out of it.
- It doesn’t end with creation, it must constantly be promoted.
- My main role needs to be as a facilitator between the two visionaries.